1955 ADLM Past President’s Award
Monroe E. Freeman serves as Chief for Department of Biochemistry at the Army Service Medical School as well as Chief of the Allied Science Section, M.S.C., in the Office of the Surgeon General, Department of the Army. He studied at the University of Minnesota where he received his B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. in Biochemistry. Freeman has served as an instructor of chemistry at the University of Arizona, Assistant Professor of Biochemistry at the University of Maine from 1930-1936 and Professor of Chemistry at University of Massachusetts from 1936-1948. He entered the Regular Army in 1948 at the Army Medical Service Graduate School and then served in World War II as chief of chemistry and toxicology section of the First Medical General Laboratory in the European Theatre of Operations. Freeman has investigative interests in plant virus diseases, hemicelluloses, carbohydrates, clinical chemistry, lipoid hemolysins, hyaluronidase, and bacterial antigens.