Who are we?
What Information does ADLM collect?
ADLM collects personal data, defined as any information relating to an identified or identifiable person, through the Site. This includes name, mailing address, email address, telephone number. We collect this information when you sign up for our email newsletter, submit a question or comment or otherwise provide feedback, respond to surveys, or search on the website.
To gain access to members-only resources and personalization features on the Site, members and other users are asked to register and provide certain personal data ADLM asks users to provide, for example, their name, date of birth, member number (for members), organization name, business phone, and e-mail address. Similar data may be submitted to ADLM through membership applications, conference or seminar registration, publication orders, and subscriptions. We may also collect certain personal data that you voluntarily provide to us by shopping in our store, such as your payment card information.
Additionally, for some e-mails sent in HTML format, ADLM will collect specific data regarding what the recipient does with that e-mail. For those e-mails, ADLM will monitor whether a recipient subsequently clicks through to links provided in the message. Other data collected through this tracking feature includes: e-mail address of a user, the date and time of the user's "click," a message number, name of the list from which the message was sent, tracking URL number and destination page. ADLM only uses this data to enhance its products and distribution of those products.
As you navigate through and interact with our Site, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Site, including, but not limited to, traffic data, geolocation data, logs and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, browser type, clickstream patters, the URL of the most recent website you visited before coming to our Site, the amount of time you spent on our Site and the pages you viewed while on our Site.
- We also may use these technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services. For more information on how to opt-out of third-party advertiser tracking mechanisms, please see the “Digital Advertising & Analytics” section below.
- The information we collect automatically is statistical data and may include personal information, but we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Site, including, but not limited to, by enabling us to:
- Estimate our visitor size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize and improve our Site.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Site.
How does ADLM use the information that it collects?
We collect data from you only when you voluntarily provide it to us or when you interact with us.
We use data voluntarily submitted by members and other customers in the following ways.
To Provide Our Services: Generally, we use data collected to provide and improve our own web content, including to provide emails, newsletters, and other information; to respond to visitors' interests, needs and preferences; to develop new products and services; to administer member benefits; to fulfill your requests; to contact members and customers, including regarding changes to our Site, policies, terms or any products or services we offer or provide; to comply with applicable law(s) (for example, to comply with a search warrant, subpoena or court order); and for other purposes disclosed at the time personal data is collected.
Disclosures to Third Parties: We also make member contact information available through our Membership Directory to other members using our Site if that member gave his or her express consent for their data to be shared through the Membership Directory. We also provide limited data to third parties that purchase ADLM mailing lists. Members may request ADLM to refrain from disclosing their data to third parties on the Site. Alternatively, users may contact ADLM’s Customer Service at any time at [email protected] or by logging in to their customer profile at https://www. ADLM.org/login . In some instances, ADLM customers will be offered the opportunity to provide their contact information to program supporters. If desired, individuals may give their consent to have their contact information shared with supporter(s) of a specific program. This consent may be withdrawn at any time.
How do we disclose your data?
We may disclose your information to third parties for the purpose of providing or improving the Site, who perform services on our behalf, or for marketing purposes. We may disclose your personal data to:
- Hosting providers for the secure storage and transmission of your data
- Database software providers for the management and tracking of your data
- Marketing providers who send communications on our behalf regarding our products and services
- Technology providers who assist in the development and management of our software or our Site
- Fulfillment and postal vendors for the fulfillment of our products and services
- Survey and research providers who perform studies on our behalf
- Advertising partners, including social media providers, for the delivery of targeted advertisements
- The American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science (ASCLS), a service provider, as part of its “Ask a Laboratory Scientist” service, in order for ASCLS to provide its services.
We may disclose your personal data to enforce our policies, to comply with our legal obligations or in the interests of security, public interest or law enforcement in any country where we operate. For example, we may respond to a request by a law enforcement agency or regulatory or governmental authority. We may also disclose data in connection with actual or proposed litigation, or to protect our property, security, people and other rights or interests.
We share information that has been de-identified or aggregated without restriction.
What about links to other websites?
The Site contains live links to third party websites. Those external websites contain data created, published, maintained, or otherwise posted by institutions or organizations independent of ADLM. ADLM does not endorse, approve, certify, or control these external websites and does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficacy, or timeliness of data located at those websites. Reference therein to any specific commercial product, process or service does not constitute or imply endorsement or recommendation by ADLM.
The Site may also include integrated social media tools or “plug-ins,” such as social networking tools offered by third parties. If you use these tools to share personal data or you otherwise interact with these features on the Site, those companies may collect information about you and may use and share such information in accordance with your account settings, including by sharing such information with the general public. Your interactions with these third parties are governed by their privacy notices. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of third party websites. Therefore, please read carefully any privacy policies associated to those links or websites before agreeing to their terms or using those websites.
If you have asked us to share your data with websites owned and operated by third parties, we assume no responsibility for any risks associated with those servers.
How long do we keep your data?
This section applies to individuals who visit our Site from the European Economic Area, United Kingdom, and Switzerland.
ADLM processes personal data with your consent (e.g., when ADLM processes personal data to provide goods and services you request, such as to provide personal data to third parties at your direction). On other occasions, ADLM may process personal data when it needs to do this to fulfill a contract or where required to do this by law.
If necessary, ADLM may also process personal data when it is in ADLM’s legitimate interests to do this (e.g., for member service) and when these interests are not overridden by your data protection rights.
ADLM uses automatic decision-making and profiling to offer personalized marketing content through the Site.
If you are located outside of the United States, please be advised that we process and store personal data in the United States.
You have a right to the following:
- To request access to the personal data we hold about you;
- To request that we rectify or erase your personal data;
- To request that we restrict or block the processing of your personal data;
- Under certain circumstances, to receive personal data about you that we store and transmit to another without hindrance from us, including requesting that we provide your personal data directly to another, i.e., a right to data portability; and
- Where we previously obtained your consent, to withdraw consent to processing your personal data.
To exercise these rights, contact us using the “Contact Us” section below. Please be aware that ADLM may be unable to afford these rights to you under certain circumstances, such as if we are legally prevented from doing so.
Additionally, you have the right to lodge a complaint against us. To do so, contact the supervisory authority in your country of residence.
Digital Advertising and Analytics
We may partner with ad networks and other ad serving providers (“Advertising Providers”) that serve ads on behalf of us and others on non-affiliated platforms. Some of those ads may be personalized, meaning that they are intended to be relevant to you based on information Advertising Providers collect about your use of the Site and other websites or apps over time, including information about relationships among different browsers and devices. This type of advertising is known as interest-based advertising.
We may also work with third parties that collect data about your use of the Site and other websites or apps over time for non-advertising purposes. Among these third parties, we may use Google to improve the performance of the Site and for analytics and marketing purposes. For more information about how Google Analytics collects and uses data when you use our Site, visit https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/, and to opt out of Google Analytics, visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
We may use your email address to send you other messages or content, such as, but not limited to, newsletters, additions or changes to features of the Service, or special offers. If you do not want to receive such email messages, you may opt out by emailing us your opt-out request or by clicking “unsubscribe” at the bottom of our e-newsletter. Opting out may prevent you from receiving email messages regarding updates, improvements, special features, announcements, or offers.
For choices with respect to third-party interest-based advertising activities, please see the “Digital Advertising & Analytics” section above.
California's "Shine the Light" law permits users of our website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us.
How to Contact Us
For questions pertaining to privacy or data collection, please use our Data and Privacy Form.
900 Seventh Street
NW Suite 400
Washington, DC 20001 U.S.